Saturday, 26 August 2017

1603 : Piece Gathering


Halifax Piece Hall (August 2017)
They have just carried out a major redevelopment at the historic Halifax Piece Hall, replacing the old, stone-cobbled, sloping floor with one which is tiered and stone-flagged. Many people complain about the cost or the look of the new configuration, but it does provide a more usable space for large public gatherings, such as those which were such a part of the history of the Piece Hall in the nineteenth century.

2 comments:

tony said...

Oh Alan, Im really not sure.....Its very impressive to look at.It seems twice the size now.It has a natural stage.Wheelchair access is very steep (I guess 17th century wheelchairs were a rarity!But now...?)
I wonder at the longterm plans for it.the council has been critised for "wasting" £19 million.....infact it's probably quite a canny bit of Real Estate investment to add to Calerdale's Porfolio in the medium to long term......
I have very mixed feelings.......
By the way,i have 2 unanswered questions.(1) is it true that Calderdale sold the cobbles to The States? (2) what has become of the Plaque to Ralph Fox that used to be on a bench there?

Alan Burnett said...

I love the idea of selling the cobbles to the States - perhaps they will use them to pave London Bridge, Not sure about the plaque. As for the development itself I have mixed feelings but on the whole I am supportive. I have a photo I took in the Piece Hall back in the mid sixties which I will try and put up on News From Nowhere later this week. The comparison is most interesting.