Saturday, 11 February 2017

1544 : A Balmy Church

St Mary In The Balm, Rochdale (January 2017)
This church is just over one hundred years old and was designed by the architect Sir Ninian Comper. The name comes from the fact that the previous chapel was built in a field where the wild herb, melissa officinalis (lemon balm), was growing. "Baum" is a local dialect form of the word "balm".

No comments: