HALIFAX FROM SOUTHOWRAM BANK (c. 1968)
The remnants of North Bridge Station and the goods yard on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway can be clearly seen on this photograph. It was demolished a few years later - in 1974 - to make way for a new Leisure Centre and supermarket. The line had been constructed in 1880 and provided an alternative route between Halifax and Bradford. At that time, North Bridge had to be rebuilt to allow trains to pass under it.