Tuesday, 8 December 2015

1406 : A Chimney Cull

I have to go into hospital this week and therefore I am pre-posting a series of images in order to preserve the continuity of this blog. All six photographs come from the same strip of negatives I shot fifty years ago during a short walk along Godley and Southowram Banks above Halifax. Without realising what I was doing, I was capturing the town on the brink of transition at a time when soot-encrusted mill chimneys were being replaced by concrete high-rise flats.


The first of my sequence was taken from the top of Godley Bridge and looks down on the A58 running down into Halifax. Within a couple of years of the photograph being taken the houses on the right of the shot had been demolished and a radical cull of mills and their chimneys had taken place.

1 comment:

Chairman Bill said...

Good luck with the hospital visit, Alan.