Wednesday, 19 March 2014

1161 : Workplaces I Have Known


Back in the 1980s, this was the place where I would occasionally work. Whilst most of my teaching took place in the kind of concrete prefabs that passed for modern architecture in the 1960s, I would occasionally be called on to lecture at courses based at Wentworth Woodhouse which, for a brief period, formed part of Sheffield Hallam University.  I must have taken this photograph on one such occasion. The Grade 1 listed 18th century mansion has the largest country house frontage in Europe. It was quite some place of work.

4 comments:

Karen S. said...

Wow, I can imagine this was an interesting place, how wonderful.

Lisa B said...

What a grand place to work - although maybe not so if one were a housemaid getting up before dawn to light fires and carry hot water upstairs.

ChrisJ said...

I wonder if that would be Wentworth House, a teacher training College in the 50's. That was one of the colleges I considered, but the beautiful Peak District won out and I ended up at Thornbridge Hall, which I hear now makes its own speciality beer.

Kristin said...

At one point this was a house where a family lived? I wonder how many people lived there at that point.