Thursday, 10 May 2012

1052 : The Equestrian Statue


Isobel is still at the dentist, so I decide to go and investigate the equestrian statue that stands in the little park at the junction of Heath Road and Skircoat Road in Halifax. I have been passing this statue on and off for fifty years - I used to pass it most days when walking home from school - and I have never once checked to see who it was. Time to formally introduce myself at long last to Prince Albert. My apologies to his horse, but the rather strange angle was dictated by the strong sunlight.

6 comments:

Brett Payne said...

But what was the horse's name?

Alan Burnett said...

Nimrod

Brett Payne said...

Very fast :-)

Alan Burnett said...

The horse? My response? Both?
A whole series of similar statues were commissioned by town seeking favour with Victoria. They featured Albert's favourite horse - Nimrod.

Brett Payne said...

Well I meant the response, because it was a partial test of your iPadeptness, but I suppose the horse was too. I've not been much of a Royal watcher, and am not so familiar with English towns in general, but I can quite imagine them rearing up all over the place. Now, of course, I'll see them everywhere, but at least I'll know who and why, thank you.

Karen S. said...

Really? I find that so hard to believe that it took you that long. Now did you offer this poor horse an apple too? Ha, ha!