Sunday, 25 March 2012

1021 : Summat In It For Thee


Back in the 1960s I was given my first ever (and probably my only ever) professional commission as a photographer. Alan Yates, a local Halifax trade union stalwart, had a member who had been knocked down by a bus at the bottom of Salterhebble Hill. The union was fighting the case and wanted a photograph of the scene of the accident. There'd be "summat in it for thee" I was told, so off I went with my camera to record the scene. This is one of the negatives that resulted. At the end of the day, I never got paid - but I was left with a priceless record of empty roads, cigarette adverts, and pubs still open.

3 comments:

Lisa B said...

Great shot. Yes, I noticed the cigarette ad. I hope the 'other' Alan had a speedy recovery.

Chairman Bill said...

Beats me how anyone could get knocked down in the 60s in rural Lancs. Surely there wasn't enough traffic? Kids even played football in the middle of roads because they were so safe - OK you had to stand aside every 15 minutes for a breather and to allow the next car past....

Volie2 said...

Would that Pub be the 'Punch Bowl' - an old Webster's House? Probably doesn't exist now, but it certainly did in the '60's and into the '90's.

Haven't been to Halifax for nearly twenty years now. Seems like a lifetime ago. I used to enjoy coming to West Yorkshire as the people were so friendly. I do enjoy your photographs and I'm pleased you have re-started 'Picture Post'. Thank you.