Monday, 30 May 2011

1008 : Todmorden Turrets


High on a hill overlooking Todmorden is the third in my trio of buildings designed by John Gibson, Dobroyd Castle. Built as a home for the mill-owning Fielden family. The story is that John Fielden Jnr fell in love with a local worker, Ruth Stansfield, who said she would marry him if he built her a castle. The couple got married in 1857 and Dobroyd Castle was the built a few year later. It would be nice to say that they lived happily ever after, but they didn't. But that, as they say, is another story.

7 comments:

Valerie said...

Awesome building. I wonder how many mysteries have been weaved around it.

Brett Payne said...

A picturesque building, I agree, but I think the photograph makes it - excellent work Alan.

Roy said...

Todmorden seems to be a magnet for people looking back to earlier architectural styles in their building. Was the town a center for the rise of the Neo-Gothic movement in the late 19th Century?

L. D. Burgus said...

That is building is remarkable, seeing it here from on the prairie. The name of the town sounds like it should be a name of some place in Lord of the Rings.

Vicki Lane said...

Enjoying my visit to Tormorden -- what a great name and wonderful buildings.

TICKLEBEAR said...

i see you've found my country house...

;)~
HUGZ

adrian hughes said...

I had the worst tormented years of my life in that castle