Monday, 16 May 2011

1004 : Paddock Curves And Gritty Lanolin

Paddock Viaduct, Near Huddersfield
Paddock Viaduct takes the Huddersfield to Sheffield railway line out of the town centre and enables it to fly over the steep valley of the River Colne. Trapped beneath its huge and gracefully curved arches are rows of stone-built terraced houses. There is something so Yorkshire about the scene : not Dales-decked Herriot Country, but gritty, lanolin-soaked West Yorkshire. The magnificent viaduct is the work of Sir John Hawkshaw who was also responsible for the Lockwood viaduct about a mile further south.

INTERREGNUM : The normal order of things is going to be a little disturbed over the next six weeks or so. Tomorrow, the Good Lady Wife (GLW) retires from work and there then follows a round of parties, visits and celebrations.. In June we are away on holiday for three weeks. Until we go on holiday I will try and post something each day - sometimes to News From Nowhere and sometimes to Alan Burnett's Picture Post. I will try to include links between blogs so you will be able to keep up with where I am. The weekly calls for Sepia Saturday posts will not be interrupted.

17 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

We have several bridges that look like this not 100 yard away from the caravan, as the main line to S. Wales and the SW borders our property.

The line is in a deep dip and thus not too much of a problem.

Alan Burnett said...

Just looked up Old Sodbury on Google Earth in order to see the railway line skirt the caravan. The most extraordinary thing is that Old Sodbury actually exists!

TICKLEBEAR said...

love this. all we have here is concrete, which is falling apart...
yuk!!

why don't you just pre-schedule your posts via "post options"? they'll be published as you wish and you won't have to concern yourself with that while you're gone...

i often do that, publishing in bulk so i don't end up doing that all of the time...

just a suggestion.
it's never failed me in the past.
:)~
HUGZ

Alan Burnett said...

TB : It's the time rather than the logistics I am going to have problems with - but I will certainly follow your advice for my Sepia Saturday posts.

Karen S. said...

Yes! This is quite stunning....there is an old bridge in Stillwater (closed now and on private property of course) but it's called naturally "The Old Stone Bridge" (I've tried getting some photos of it) During the Civil War days our Minnesota soldiers walked that fine bridge many times!

Subby said...

I like this. More pleasing to mine eye than all the concrete and steel we have round here. Exceptions are the remaining covered wood bridges ;)

Teresa Evangeline said...

Well, I'm only on my first cup of coffee and I don't do well with instructions, but I will try to keep up. Great photo. And Great word that interregnum. I will try to find more ways to use it.

Roy said...

I've always liked stone arches. Great shot, Alan!

Valerie said...

Viaducts fascinate me. I often wonder about the men who built them, how long it took etc. Great picture. Hope you and the GLW have some enjoyable days.

L. D. Burgus said...

It is a wonderful shot. I like the color and textures of the brick and the perspective is wonderful too.

Tess Kincaid said...

Your viaducts are ever so much more romantic than ours. Enjoy the new chapter in your life, my friend. x

Michael and Hanne said...

Great shot Alan.
Interregnum. I think this means the period of (retirement) celebrations, between the old reign of King Alan and the new reign of Queen GWL.
By the way, we too are going away, so I will attempt to keep our posts up on the i-Pad.....wish us luck!
We also wish you both a great number of congratulations on reaching this new stage in your lives!

H said...

It will definitely be all change now that the GLW has reached retirement! I wish you both well :)

Meanwhile, that is a solid looking structure! Grand!

Pat Hatt said...

Making me hop back and forth is rough
And it's so tough
Hard on my brain
But I got aboard the train
See what I did there
And did it with flare
Very nice pic too
Followed by a great description by you

Tattered and Lost said...

There's something so fascinating about this photo. I'm imaging the children living in the houses who come out to play on a rainy day beneath the arches.

jennyfreckles said...

I missed this photo - but I love it. I must have been over that bridge, had no idea it looked so good underneath.

Vicki Lane said...

What a striking photo! And all best wishes to the GLW!