Wednesday, 11 May 2011

1002 : Antique, Rambling And Incommodious


Amy and I took a walk in the grounds of Oakwell Hall the other day. Located a few miles away from where we live, Oakwell is a late sixteenth century "yeoman and gentry house" which is now a museum and the heart of a country park. In the early nineteenth century, Charlotte Bronte was a regular visitor to Oakwell and she used it as the model for "Fieldhead", the home of the heroine Shirley Keeldar in her novel Shirley. In the book, she describes it as follows : "It was neither a grand nor a comfortable house, within as without it was antique, rambling and incommodious". Far be it from me to argue with Charly, but I suspect I could be quite comfortable there.

7 comments:

Valerie said...

Me too, Alan. What an incredible building. I can understand why Charlie wanted to use it for her book. It lends itself to all genre.

Roy said...

You might need to add a few mod cons, though.

Chairman Bill said...

Alan - that's all very well, but what about the mildew in the bathroom?

Margaret said...

Well... it looks very charming to me! To walk around that place with a camera would be heaven for me. :)

Michael and Hanne said...

You'd need a good flashlight ( torch, sorry) to find your way in at night if the lights were off. Very dour, dull, gray, OK now with blue sky, but in winter, no color. OK if you like B&W

The Retired One said...

An awesome place!

jennyfreckles said...

I've a feeling it's been used in a few films and TV programmes - and now you can get married here. Nice setting for that.