Monday, 4 April 2011

Around The World In 20 Memories : No 1 Finnish Dancing


It is April and it's still cold outside. There are no holidays planned for a couple of months and therefore I thought I might run a short series featuring trips gone by. Don't automatically expect imposing cityscapes or palm-fringed beaches, these are pictures that incite my own memories of places. Se welcome on board as we take off to go around the world in twenty memories.

No 1 : Finnish Dancing.   It is December 1999 and I am Helsinki, Finland covering the 1999 European Union Summit meeting. Helsinki was cold and coated with alternate layers of snow and ice. To keep spirits up, the Finnish Government organised a party for the visiting media at the headquarters of the Finnish Radio and Television service. Somewhat bizarrely the musical entertainment was provided by an all-female 1930s swing orchestra. The Finnish journalists and media representatives all turned up in ball gowns and tail suits and danced the evening away. The rest of the world's media turned up in jeans and thick pullovers and drank the evening away. And as you will have guessed, I was in the latter group.

9 comments:

Rosie said...

If it was that cold, I pity the sleeveless gowns the ladies were wearing!!!

Chairman Bill said...

You old, unreconstructed radical, you!

Alan Burnett said...

Rosie : It wasn't that bad actually, they have good insulation over there.
CB : I will have you know that I have been reconstructed several times, indeed half my brain started life in a Japanse workshop.

Valerie said...

'Somewhat bizarrely...'

which was the bizarre bit, the all-female orchestra in ball gowns or the Finnish journalists in tail suits.
I bet the rest of the world looked out of place in common everyday clothes....grins

√ Honest Abe said...

Always enjoy your blogs Alan. The layout or template is really neat and your posts are made to fit them just right. I like your photography too and the writing is just perfect, in my view.

Vicki Lane said...

My, you do see life, Alan!

Pranavam Ravikumar a.k.a. Kochuravi said...

I came here from Brain's Comment Box. Read couple of post. Enjoyed it & I wish to visit again.

Thanks & Regards

L. D. Burgus said...

I thought at first that it looked like our Jazz bands of today over here. Swing bands probably played similar music. Great shot.

jennyfreckles said...

Cold? Must have been - their feet are wrapped in bubble wrap.