Friday, 15 April 2011

Around The World In 20 Memories - 7 : A Visit To Weatherfield


I was scanning some old negatives the other day and came across this one and decided it would fit nicely in my "Around The World" mini-series. So here is a photograph of a place that doesn't actually exist : the fictional town of Weatherfield which is the location for the longest running TV soap opera in the world - Coronation Street. It was taken in about 1991 and shows my parents just entering the corner shop. Although the picture was taken at the Granada studios in Manchester, the passing crowds help to give it a realistic feel. All we need now is the theme music ....... dah, dah da dadah dah.

8 comments:

Rosie said...

I know your parents were posing, but for some reason, it seems like all the other people are posing exactly for the shot!!

Chairman Bill said...

Did I just see a cat on a roof?

Roy said...

Hmmmmm... So they keep vthe set open to the public? That's an interesting way to double their income from the show! And it really does look like a busy shopping district in the average British town.

Valerie said...

When I saw the post title I felt sure I'd heard of Weatherfield before... dear old Coronation Street.

jennyfreckles said...

It's authenticity was one of the reasons it became so popular, I guess - but they seem to stretch the story lines these days. (Not that I watch it regularly - too busy blogging!)

Michael and Hanne said...

Now that photo brings back memories of WW 2 when it was just a huge game until a German bomb blew up my little comic store, then things got quite serious!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am enjoying your memories Alan..:)

L. D. Burgus said...

It really is a wonderful shot. It is more fun when you hear the background to the story.