Saturday, 30 April 2011

Around The World In 20 Memories - 14 : Sunburnt In Juan-les-Pins


It was 1962 and I was 14. My father, mother and I set off for a great adventure, driving down to the South of France. We took plenty of English tea and a contraption to keep the foreign flies off our sandwiches and with our multi-coloured tent we set up a holiday home in Juan-les-Pins. Unfortunately we didn't take any sun-cream and my poor father spent most of the time sheltering under a suitably placed railway tunnel. What an adventure.

6 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

Alan: it's not recommended to place a cup of tea on a xylophone.

Valerie said...

I remember those contraptions. Isn't it always the way, you take everything but the kitchen sink and still manage to forget the most vital thing.

TICKLEBEAR said...

a brit in the sun? he should have known better!!
:D~
camping is so foreign to me, the mere notion frightens me... i need 4 solid walls, a roof, a floor, obviously, an a janitor service and a warden at the door.
:)~
HUGZ

Mmm said...

I love hearing about memories like this. Great to have a photo to accompany it too.

jennyfreckles said...

That was very adventurous in those days - we never got further than Skegness until the late 60s.

L. D. Burgus said...

What a great memory even with the sunburn. I would love to take a jaunt south and end up in France.