Friday, 4 March 2011

Wyke Walk 4 : More Odd Fellows (Upper And Lower)


The Oddfellows in Wyke (you know me, I can't resist taking pictures of pubs). If you are interested in the origin of the name of the pub, take a look at my entry in yesterdays' News From Nowhere. Wyke must at one time have been quite a hive of Oddfellow activity as I have found reference to an old pub called the "Lower Oddfellows" which presumes there was also an "Upper Oddfellows". Whether this is Upper or Lower I do not know, but I suspect someone will write in and let me know.

10 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

Next you'll be showing us photos of Nether Oddfellows, then Oddfellows Magna and finally Oddfellows Without - and not forgetting Little Oddfellows.

Chairman Bill said...

Oddfellows-cum-Hardy.

Oddfellows-on-Trent.

Oddfellows-by-the-Marsh.

Alan Burnett said...

Very Oddfellows
Even Oddfellows
Oddfellows On Sea

Chairman Bill said...

Ashby-de-la-Oddfellows.

Betsy said...

How odd! ha.

Sunny said...

I love the bricks, the sign and the red door...does that make me odd? Haha!
☼ Sunny

Valerie said...

Great picture. Sadly I'm not the one to give an explanation in the debate about the name.

The story is finished. It and your picture will be posted next week, probably on the Friday. I have acknowledged that the picture came from you. A Mixed Bag is where you'll find it (www.allsortsforallsorts/blogspot.com.

jennyfreckles said...

Don't show us Oddfellows Bottom!

Vicki Lane said...

Oddfellows Parva, Bishops Oddfellows, Oddfellows-in-the-Wold, Chipping Oddfellows, Oddfellows Regis . . . You Brits -- gotta love the nomenclature!

Rosie said...

We have an expression around these parts, we use "the queer lads".... tee hee hee.