Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Victoria's Fall From Grace


I am not absolutely certain that I took this photograph, but if I didn't, I wish that I had done. It might have been taken by my brother Roger, I seem to remember that we only had one old and battered camera between the two of us back in the 1960s. I can remember where it was taken : so maybe I did take it, or at least it was taken when the two of us were out walking together. It shows what remained in the mid 60s of the Sunny Vale Pleasure Gardens. Sunny Vale - or Sunny Bunces as it was known - was the great resort and amusement park that served the mill workers of Halifax and the Calder Valley. During the early part of the twentieth century thousands would visit its' strangely innocent collection of swings, skating rinks and fairground rides. By the 1960s, it had fallen out of fashion. Part of the gardens where being used as a go-kart racing circuit, the rest had sunk into a state of overgrown disrepair. This is what remained of the once imposing Victoria boating lake. Sad.

8 comments:

Valerie said...

Yes it is sad to see things in decline. I wonder what the place is like now.

Roy said...

Wow! Whichever one of you took it, this picture captures the sadness of the place perfectly.

Rosie said...

Looks like a scene from Gone With the Wind at the end....

Michael and Hanne said...

The swans have also left in disgust.

Brett Payne said...

An incredibly atmospheric photograph, Alan. I keep wanting to lighten the image up on my screen to see more detail, but of course the darkness is part of what makes it. Oddly enough, I've just been looking at a series of current day Detroit, suffering from much the same sort of demise, except on a far grander scale. Very sad.

jennyfreckles said...

It's an evocative image. What is there now - houses?

The Retired One said...

Wonderful black and white image,that emits so much!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Alan, this photos is so evocative and made me wonder what Sunny Vale looked like in its grander days when the mill workers and their family enjoyed it. I'm sure it is quite different today than in the photo you showed from the 1960s...how sad.