Thursday, 31 March 2011

Unwanted Palaces Of Pleasure : The Royal Oak, Halifax.


If you have £125,000 (just over $200,000) to spare why not buy the Royal Oak Inn, Halifax? Built in 1929 by the renowned firm of local architects, Jackson and Fox, on the site of an old coaching inn, the mock-Tudor pub is a Grade II listed building. Many of the timbers incorporated into the rebuilding came from the 19th Century wooden battleship, HMS Newcastle, and some of the external wood carving was by the renowned Harry Percy Jackson of Coley. I remember the pub well from my time working as a bus conductor in the late 1960s. The terminus for the Southowram bus was immediately outside the pub, and often, whilst the bus was filling up with passengers, I would nip into the public bar for a quick half. Just the ticket.

11 comments:

Valerie said...

Fascinating. I'd buy that in a flash if I could raise the cash. There's something about corner buildings that fascinates me... maybe it's because they appear to be round rather than square. Don't know why, but I like them.

Alan Burnett said...

Val : I do agree with you about corner buildings, there is something rather posh and grand about them. It was always the corner houses in the industrial villages of the 19th century that were allocated to the overlookers and foremen.

TICKLEBEAR said...

looks quite charming!!
:)~
HUGZ

Chairman Bill said...

Sounds cheap, but looking after a Grade II building can be an absolute nightmare.

Michael and Hanne said...

We didn't know you were a conductor! Maybe you worked with my uncle, Tom, a bus driver on the Buxton to Sheffield run?
A very interesting post, history, photography and all.

tony said...

Tis A Shame.I too have spent many a boozy hour in it.

Rosie said...

Very stately looking building. Mom used to own an Inn, interesting people went through those doors, as no doubt, they did here too. Of course, Mom didn't serve "spirits", so bus drivers would have remained quite "dry"....

Vicki Lane said...

Let me just look under the sofa cushions -- there's usually a bit of spare money there...

Chairman Bill said...

Perhaps a new HQ for my latest enterprise?

Sunny said...

Oh darn! I forgot my checkbook! Looks like a very interesting building with lots of possibilities.
☼ Sunny

Lisa Gioia-Acres said...

I'll go in on it with you! How are you, Alan? Still love your blog, so sorry I've been so long gone. Hope you are well. And I still haven't made it back to England - wish I could get there soon.