Friday, 25 March 2011

The Talented Village Of Ripley


On our return from Knaresborough we visited the lovely village of Ripley, to sample the renowned local ice cream. The original village was so decimated by the plague that it had to be rebuilt, but in the nineteenth century the local squire decided he didn't like the rebuild, so he pulled it down ans started again. The "new" village was built in the stile of an Alsatian town complete with its own Hotel de Ville. The Boar's Head Hotel you can see in the middle distance looks wonderful old and historic : but it wasn't opened until 1990. You are never quite sure what's what in Ripley. Patricia Highsmith would have been proud of it.

10 comments:

Valerie said...

It looks very nice. Worthy of a visit methinks.

Roy said...

I love it - a (relatively) new village built to look ancient. What'll they think of next?

Rosie said...

They were right bang on, before I scrolled to read the info, I truly believed it was a picture of an old historic town!!

Chairman Bill said...

Ahhh - rare breed pork chops. My favourite!

Alan Burnett said...

Val : If nothing else, worth a visit for the ice cream ...
CB : ... and worth a visit for the butchers as well.
Roy / Rosie : It has a strange feel about it, like a lot of "model villages"

Honest Abe Lincoln said...

A lovely view, Alan.

Michael and Hanne said...

Nothing to do with believe it or not I suppose....

jennyfreckles said...

It's a place I've always tended to rush past on the way to somewhere else. Looks worthy of a visit but I thought it was very old too. Isn't there a castle there?

Vicki Lane said...

Those model villages -- I always think of "The Prisoner'(was that in Wales.) Yes, just a bit creepy...

L. D. Burgus said...

I think I see sunshine on this fair city. Ice cream sounds good right now.