Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Positively Gone


Whilst most of the photographs I took back in the 1960s were taken using black and white negative film, I would occasionally experiment with using positive film and using the negatives to make black and white slides. This is one such slide of the goods yards in the shadow of North Bridge, Halifax. Some kind of date (mid 1960s?) can be guessed from the car - there will be folk out there who will be able to identify the make and the model and - in the case of Chairman Bill - most probably the name of the driver. Railway sidings, gas works and cooling towers are all now long gone.

9 comments:

Valerie said...

I remember as a schoolgirl going round the rotary house and having to write an essay about it afterwards. All I can think about it now is that it was the blackest, gloomiest sight to blight the neighbourhood. That, and the strikes!

Chairman Bill said...

Humber Hawk. Can't be 100% certain, but I'd stick my neck out and say a series III.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Humber_Hawk_Series_III.jpg

Will revert with driver's National Insurance number shortly.

Alan Burnett said...

CB : I know better than to be amazed by your abilities.

Tess Kincaid said...

Another stellar shot. You have a great artistic eye, Alan.

Roy said...

Great composition, Alan. It's all gone, eh? I'm wondering if that Humber Hawk is still around, perhaps in somebody's classic car collection.

Michael and Hanne said...

Valerie is depressed by the view, but she has to remember we are dealing with black and white photography. The black is depressing I agree, but surely the white balances things out?
Sorry Chairman Bill, it is an old Hillman.....

L. D. Burgus said...

I have never heard of that kind of car before but it is a neat looking vehicle. Interesting grouping of towers.

Valerie said...

I'm not depressed by the photograph, just by the memory of it all in real life.

Chairman Bill said...

Michael - I'm afraid you are mistaken. It's far too massive for a Hillman Minx - and look at the grille and badge, they're not Hillman. Definitely a Humber Hawk.