Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Last Exit To Junction


Mileposts can still be found along the byways of Britain, their stone faces whitewashed and their hand-carved letters picked out in Municipal black paint. Few people notice them these days - they are not easily spotted from cars - and some of the places they point to have faded into obscurity over the years. Where, for example, is "Junction" which is thirteen and a quarter miles from the above milepost in Rastrick? I have done a quick check on Google Earth, rotating a compass point the requisite distance from the starting stone, and I can find no village or hamlet called Junction. Is this the last exit to Junction, or is there somewhere I have missed?

10 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

Wrangbrook Junction?

Alan Burnett said...

CB : I have to admit I have never heard of it.

Chairman Bill said...

Having looked it up, it was only named Wrangbrook Junction in 1934. I doubt that steele is that young - it looks 19th C.

Chairman Bill said...

Sorry - typo. Stele.

Alan Burnett said...

Oh I have a new word : Stele.

Valerie said...

Ah delightful mysteries of the past. As far as I know there is only one milestone in my location, on a good old Roman road.

Stele?

Margaret said...

You have quite the eye for detail. Interesting, these markers of what used to be...

Sunny said...

I love these old milestones. Having no sense of direction, I need all the help I can get!
☼ Sunny

Chairman Bill said...

Right - I've spent an hour wandering down Huddersfield Rd and Thornhill Rd/Crowtrees Lane toward Elland - but to no avail.

I know the stele is 1 mile from Brighouse, but the image doesn't say how far from Elland.

I need you to guve me a clue as to where the stele actually is, and then I can search for this Junction place, which may well be a pre-Beeching station.

I've figured out the stele is downwind of Brighouse, before Elland if travelling to Rochdale.

Michael and Hanne said...

One has to stop cycling by the sign-post, then one has time to read it. Sometimes one has to pull the grass away first.....