Thursday, 24 March 2011

A Grand Day Out


As News from Nowhere readers will know, the GLW is off work this week and this means that I am on "day-out" and "shopping" duty. From the point of view of the weather, she couldn't have picked a better week, temperatures were almost summer-like yesterday and there was a brilliant clear sky. We visited the Yorkshire Dales market town of Knaresborough yesterday, had a quick look at the shops and then walked down to the river. The spectacular viaduct was built in 1851 and takes the railway high above the gorge carved out by the River Nidd.  I sat in a riverside cafe for 30 minutes waiting to catch a picture of a train crossing : as soon as I eventually moved on, the train came. Nevertheless, a grand day out.

10 comments:

Valerie said...

The viaduct looks even bigger when it's reflected in the water. Lovely picture. Enjoy the shopping etc.

Chairman Bill said...

Ah, to take the Dutch barge through those arches. Sigh.

Wish I'd never sold her now.

Michael and Hanne said...

Great photo. The arches are the same size as the reflection but the scenery inside is different, more sky etc on the reflected image makes the arches seem bigger. Good observation Valerie!

jennyfreckles said...

Lucky you! I love Knaresborough. It harks back to a more genteel and gentler time.

Roy said...

What a gorgeous shot, Alan! Good work, and good eye.

Betsy said...

Lovely! I was going to ask if that was for a train, but then you were kind enough to answer before I could ask! :)

What wonderful weather! We had a taste of spring 2 days ago, but it's gone and cold again!

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful photo!

TICKLEBEAR said...

splendid shot!!
:)~
HUGZ

L. D. Burgus said...

It is quite a marvelous shot. I am impressed with the bridge and the entire feeling of the area. We are too flat for such things.

Margaret said...

Oh my this is gorgeous. Must be out of this world lovely in the fall. Makes my fingers want to paint it!!