Friday, 11 February 2011

Sidetracked And Lost


Over on my News From Nowhere Blog I have established National Sidetracked Week and the pastime of getting sidetracked seems to have made its way over to Picture Post. Today I intended to take a walk and check out whether the mill over the river is still there, but it is raining and misty and cold and miserable so I have decided to stay in and get sidetracked. Just where I am being sidetracked to, I do not know as I cannot recognise this scene I photographed 45 years ago. I have been wandering up and down several possibilities using Google StreetView but I have yet to spot this rather solid looking house with the strange blocked-up opening in the chimney piece. My guess is that there was originally a house next door but that had long gone, even back in the mid sixties.

8 comments:

Rosie said...

Gee, I get sidetracked from the livingroom to the kitchen, guess that makes me a member of the sidetracked people.....

Valerie said...

Wow, I love this picture, Alan... no matter where the location is. Ooooh I wonder if I might borrow it as inspiration for a new story?

Chairman Bill said...

The hill in the background not giving any clues?

Alan Burnett said...

CB : It would be like looking for a tree in the New Forest up here.

Roy said...

That's a very inviting shot, just the sort of lane I'd be tempted to wander down off the main road.

jennyfreckles said...

It looks quite rural compared with many of your recent pictures. I'm with Roy, longing for a wander down there.

Honest Abe Lincoln said...

It is always a pleasant surprise to pop in here and see what's posted today. I like your work, Alan, and your posts are always done or seem to me they are, with meticulous care.

Mmm said...

This reminds me of so many houses from back home. Terrifying small pavements outsie, if at all. Is it any wonder more kids weren't killed but then again not so may racing cars when these were built of course. Still amazes me how many like this still stand, right next the a busy road.