Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Phoebe In A Strip Show


Although my old negatives, cut into strips of six, have been carefully filed away over the years, the individual strips were not sorted and filed sequentially. Thus there is no connection between one strip and the next one, nor is there any logic or reason as to why I have filed negative strips in any one location in the album. So the only definite relationship is between the six negatives that appear on the same physical strip, they must have been taken at approximately the same time and by tracing the location of the shots I can re-map walks I must have taken over 40 years ago.

And so with the current strip under investigation we start with a picture of an old mill building straddling a river. I am almost sure that the river in question is the River Hebble in Halifax and the building is off Phoebe Lane in Siddal. The Google StreetView camvan didn't make it down Phoebe Lane so it looks like I will be off on my travels again this week. I will report back in due course.

10 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

Perhaps you filed your negatives in the same manner the brain files stuff.

Alan Burnett said...

CB : A very astute comment. There is something very similar when you scan negatives to the process of remembering something : each event clarifies to a greater or a lesser extent and then, more slowly, a fibrous connective thread develops between them.

Valerie said...

Of course my mind boggled when I saw the title of this post. For a minute I wondered what Alan was up to! I studied the picture before reading the text, always a bad thing to do, so I spent time studying the stairs at the side of the building and wondering if straddling a river was safe.

TICKLEBEAR said...

i'll have to look to see if i still have my old negatives from my college years... see if anything there is good.
:)~

lovely pic and VERY catchy title!!
:D~
HUGZ

Alan Burnett said...

Val : I will find out whether it is safe when I revisit the scene later this week.
TB : As my scans eminently demonstrate - they don't have to be "good" just old.

Chairman Bill said...

Alan - that's a very complicated explanation of what Hay says is just random (in my case)

Rosie said...

What a funny title I thought when I opened your blog. I am working on my next speech for Toastmasters, and it is called "The Circus Comes To Town". I thought I would get some inspiration...........(chuckle)

Roy said...

A very interesting location; I hope you find it on your walk. I'm always intrigued by buildings built over water. Up in New England there are often a series of ramshackle shacks, sheds, and even houses built on wooden piers extending out over a harbor, and I often wonder how cold the floors of those houses get in the Winter!

Sunny said...

I am always fascinated by your pictures. I expect your title got a lot of interest, haha!
☼ Sunny

Mmm said...

ooooh, can't wait.

"and by tracing the location of the shots I can re-map walks I must have taken over 40 years ago."
--how incredible really to be ablet o retrace one';s walk from so long ago. wow. I would likely have to go back to Malaysia if I did that!!