Wednesday, 2 February 2011

The Future As A Grainy Haze


Commenting on the promise I made yesterday to try and get a photograph of the Wool Merchant Hotel as it looks today, my blog friend John said, "I suspect it wouldn't be the same with a 'crisp' digital SLR. Prefer the old film". We will see - I still intend to try and get into Halifax later today to take the modern photograph - but I do know what he means and the next negative on the film strip illustrates the principle well. There isn't a lot of contrast, and even less fine detail, but this grainy shot of the view from the back of the house where I grew up is full of atmosphere. If the photograph had been taken with a modern digital camera you would probably be able to make out - up on one of those grainy hills in the middle distance - the house I now live in. But that was in the future, and the future is always something of a grainy haze.

7 comments:

geraldgee said...

Not sure I agree Alan,I think it's debatable that with a large format camera and the right film you should get a finer picture than a digital one.

Valerie said...

I'm intrigued by the property with the fencing round it and what appears to be a huge wheel.

Alan Burnett said...

Val : It was a rather large and pretentious house been built for a family who were always known as "The Beauty Queens" as the two daughters were both Beauty Queens. One of them went on to marry a footballer (as they do).

Chairman Bill said...

...and the past is a different country, as they say.

Roy said...

I tend to agree with geraldgee; I've shot in both film and digital, and I really prefer digital. I remember the fuss that broke out when CDs replaced vinyl in the audio realm; old school types waxed poetic about the "warmth" of analog recording as opposed to the "coldness" of digital. Yet to a man (and woman) recording engineers celebrated the arrival of digital recording, observing that analog recording lost quite a lot of signal in the process, whereas digital recording captured all the detail without loss. It's the same with photography; film loses too much, while digital captures it all. For someone like me who has had poor eyesight since childhood, the new clarity is a godsend!

TICKLEBEAR said...

i am amazed at the mess surrounding the beauty quees' house... amazed as in totally dismalled!!!
:/~
HUGZ

Mmm said...

wow, how amazing to live wihtin visible distance, fairly much so, of where you grew up. LOL. It's a long long way for me to London! i can;t even see the shore stuck landlocked here in colorado!

Anyway, yes, I so know what you mean about the old film. Love that granular like texture it had and has here--very atmospheric indeed. Nevertheless, I'm also looking forward to you shooting this again and not only seeing the more detail but how things have changed over the decades. It should be fascinating. thank you so much, dear Alan, for showing these. It really is a marvelous gift you give us to see a part of your wonderful world.