Monday, 17 January 2011

A Yummy Building


I was in Sheffield on Saturday skipping from bookshop to bookshop and dodging the showers. Chance took me up Devonshire Street where this entrance caught my attention. The building used to be the showrooms of the ornamental brick and tile manufacturers John Armitage and Son, whose fire-clay works was behind the building. Mr Armitage obviously tried to get as many of his products incorporated into the facade of the building - which dates back to 1888 - as possible. What John Armitage would think of the current use of his grand showrooms we can only imagine. But the building lives on, along with his name.

9 comments:

Sunny said...

I love the brickwork. I think it's good that the building is being used rather than going to waste. Did you try a Yummy noodle? Haha!
☼ Sunny

John said...

He'd probably walk by and pretend it wasn't his.

Michael and Hanne said...

Another John Armitage had a son George who died at the age of 14 whilst blowing a saxophone. I hope this John's sons lived longer, and maybe a great grandson or two will get to taste the noodles.
Have a Yummy Monday!
Cheers from Michael and Hanne

Chairman Bill said...

In Old Sodbury we have a Chinese restaurant in one of the oldest buildings in the high St.

The building has oak timbers which are reputed to be from the wreck of one of the Armarda ships that foundered in the Brostol Channel.

It's disconcerting to be eating Chinese and surrounded with Chinese iconography while staring at 16th century stonework and gnarled oak timbers.

Valerie said...

It is a Yummy building. At least it wasn't pulled down which, as you know, is one of my pet irks.

Roy said...

Wow! That's great brick work! I hope the noodles are as good.

That's the biggest thing I miss living here in the backwoods - no ethnic food restaurants. I especially miss sushi bars - Newport had three.

Betsy said...

You need to go in for lunch and blog about it to let us live vicariously! LOL!

TICKLEBEAR said...

while a like some of the details, i worry that the mortar seems quite discreet, leading me to believe it might be vulnerable to infiltrations. you have to admit the bricks look, judging from the picture, almost dried mounted... i could be wrong. construction is definitely not my forte, but that is what i can see here.
:)~
HUGZ

Vicki Lane said...

What a handsome building!