Saturday, 1 January 2011

With Alfred Hitchcock in Brighouse Market

Brighouse Market, 1960s
Let's start the new year with a bit of a mystery. This photograph is taken from a negative strip I scanned this morning and is from a series of photographs I took of Brighouse and its open air market back in the early 1960s. But looking carefully at the young chap towards the right of the group of market shoppers, I have the distinct impression that it might be me. But if it is, who took the photograph? I am sure that I was responsible for the rest of the shots on this particular strip of film, but did I have a sturdy tripod and time delay or an accommodating assistant? However it was done it appears that like Alfred Hitchcock, I have made a guest appearance in one of my own films.

9 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

Imagine what the stall holders would have said to anyone ordering in kilos...

tony said...

You Have The Look Of A Young Cary Grant!

Michael and Hanne said...

I'll have one of those delicious looking cauliflowers please and one bunch of celery. Thank you!
How much will that be do you think? Two and six?

jennyfreckles said...

Thankfully, you don't look a bit like Alfred Hitchcock.

Alan Burnett said...

Phil : You are right, and it's also the simplicity of the stalls themselves which is surprising after all these years.
Tony : With Alfred Hitchcock and Cary Grant in Brighouse Market.
Michael & Hanne : I suspect even less than that, you'd probably get the lot for just about a shilling.
Jenny : You've not seen me recently.

Chairman Bill said...

Alan - why did all the women wear hijabs in those days, especially up north?

Were they perchance expecting the Asian influx post Idi Amin and wanting to make the new comers feel at home?

Far Side of Fifty said...

You were quite dashing! I love old photos..I noticed that most of the women have head scarves..well the one has a hat..and one has her scarf about her neck..but all the men have nothing on their heads..interesting:)

mouse (aka kimy) said...

really you can't recall who was with you on that particular day at the market 40 some years ago. imagine that!!

ah, this post reminds me of a story threads the girl with the dragon tattoo .... as i know you read the books, how about that bit with the photo from the parade? didn't you think the recall was a bit unrealistic?????

Anonymous said...

Do you have any more on your strip of Brighouse?