Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Tunneling Under Conwy


Tunneling through the negative archives brings up this photograph of Conwy (Conway) in Wales. Conwy used to be a notorious traffic blackspot as the busy A55 road wound its way through its narrow streets. The cars moved so slowly it was perfectly possible to jump out of the car, take a photograph and jump back in again which is, I suspect, what I did with this shot back in the 1960s (I wasn't the driver I should stress). But tunneling has its advantages : twenty years ago an immersed tube tunnel was sunk across the estuary of the River Conwy and the traffic jams are no more.

6 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

I remember the road well, as it was the route to school in Llnafair PG from home in Southport.

Had cause to use it again a few months ago, and what an improvement. The journey used to take around 6 hours. On my last day at school I used a Lambretta scooter I'd bought from a fellow pupil to return home, following my father's car. What a journey!

Roy said...

Hmmmm... Looks like Thames St. in Newport, RI in July and August. Streets laid out in the 18th Century for horseback riders don't always work so well with modern traffic!

Valerie said...

I remember the snarled traffic in Conwy very well. Other than that it was quite a nice place.

Sunny said...

Wow that is a lot of traffic! I really enjoy your black and white photos.
☼ Sunny

jennyfreckles said...

Reminiscent of Saltaire Road on a bad day.... So they did build a tunnel! But I very much hope the tunnel idea never happens in Saltaire. (For one thing the plans have it surfacing right by my house!)

Cletis L. Stump said...

Alan, this is a great photo. Cletis in KY.