Monday, 24 January 2011

Social History Frozen In Time


Someone once wrote about an image being worth a thousand words. How wrong they were : it is worth far more than that. As I scan my old negatives I seem to spend longer and longer staring into them, seeing new details, reveling in new discoveries, decades after the photograph was first taken. This week I am featuring images from just one random strip of six negatives. The majority of them focus on a mill fire. I have no record of when or where it was, I would guess Halifax in the mid 1960s. But what life there is, what history burnt into the emulsion. My eye is immediately drawn to the group of people on the left of the shot : social history frozen in time.

8 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

I see what you mean - a beehive and rickets in one shot.

Roy said...

A very interesting shot, Alan. There's a slight feel of Jacob Riis's work here.

Valerie said...

Gosh, that takes me back. I remember that hair-do like it was yesterday.

John said...

It looks so long ago, yet I was 20 then - OMG.

Betsy said...

Oh yes, the 60's for sure! My eye immediately went to the little group of people, too!

jennyfreckles said...

I agree with John - it looks like ancient history but I WAS ALIVE then!

Kat Mortensen said...

The people you magnified are fascinating in their body language. The woman with hands on hips in particular catches my attention - and the bow-legged man! What an amazing photograph. This would make a terrific prompt for creative exploration.

Kat

Mmm said...

that beehive! Ans what of that man's bowlegs!