Wednesday, 19 January 2011

A Promenade By An Ornamental Tower


A slightly different walk for Amy and I this morning, as we cut through the frosty morning air in the Savile Park area of Halifax. My photograph was taken from Albert Promenade, a residential road that skims the tops of the Calder Valley. The tower is the delightful Wainhouse Tower which was originally designed as a dye-works chimney. There is quite a story to it, which deserves telling in full, so I will return to it on my News from Nowhere Blog in the near future.

11 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

A chimney? Looks more like an aristo's folly. They certainly designed nice chimneys in those days!

TICKLEBEAR said...

i love the perspective and the mood prevailing here.
:)~
HUGZ

Roy said...

Nice wide-range landscape shot, Alan! It almost looks like one of El Greco's paintings of Toledo.

Vicki Lane said...

I'm with Roy on the View of Toledo resemblance. Nice photo!

Kat Mortensen said...

What a great picture, Alan! I will be looking forward to the story of Wainhouse Tower for sure.

Come back if you get a minute and read my "Magpie" for Willow's sepia photo.

Kat

Sunny said...

Beautiful view and the clouds are terrific.
☼ Sunny

Valerie said...

I like the pink hue in the blue sky and reflected on the surrounding area.

Paul C said...

You are providing quite a chronicle of your environs. Most interesting.

Abraham Lincoln said...

The whole is a nice picture indeed.

Rosie said...

I like this photo of the tower.

Mmm said...

Fantastic photo. Love the angel adn the town below.