Wednesday, 5 January 2011

Neither Cute Baby Nor Doting Parent


When I attempt to gather together all the photographs I gave taken over the last fifty-odd years and try to seek some kind of chronological pattern, the 1990s seems to be at odds with the other decades. It was a time when I took far fewer photographs and, of the ones I took, most were just of family and friends. Not sure whether this was because this was the decade when the Lad was growing up and I was otherwise engaged, or this was the last decade before digital photography became a real possibility and the plodding mechanics of colour processing had squeezed all the enthusiasm out of me. This picture of paddle boats in - I think - Brixham harbour was one of the few photographs of the period that didn't feature cute baby or doting parent.

4 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

I'd have thought it was the other way round. In days of yore it would cost a small packet to have photos developed, and hence the tendency was to capture 'moments' comprising family at crucial times. Latterly, digital technology has allowed us be become more adventurous and try to capture more arty images and give our creative urges free rein - at little cost.

geraldgee said...

There wasnt much you could do with colour film.Black and white was the way to go.

Valerie said...

Cute baby could have been hiding in No.3 while doting parent was messing about with the camera...lol.

I'm glad digital is here, it solved so many problems for me.

jennyfreckles said...

As far as I remember, baby plus camera gear didn't go together well unless you had a sherpa to carry everything.