Monday, 10 January 2011

A Grainy Old Hole In The Ground


A dull and grainy old negative showing little more than a hole in the ground. But, on examination, this old photograph I must have taken forty-odd years ago, is full of surprises. On the left of the picture you can just make out the "Cock Of The North" brewery of John Whitakers & Sons (sadly closed in 1968) whilst high up on the hillside is the Claremont works of the machine tool company Crawford Swift. And the hole in the ground? That was the early excavations for the new Halifax bypass which was eventually completed in the early 1970s

10 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

Somewhat redolent of Hiroshima in 1945.

Alan Burnett said...

Did they have a "Cock Of The North" Brewery?

Chairman Bill said...

Kirin is the brewery there, which loosely translates as 'giraffe'. Not exactly a cock, but the image on the label does look like one.

Valerie said...

You see, even a hole is the start of something. It's good that you have these photographs... how often have we all wondered 'what used to be there' ... this way you can always tell them.

Alan Burnett said...

My one regret Val is that I don't think I have any photos of what was knocked down to make way for the hole.

Abraham Lincoln said...

I think it is nice to have photographs that record a period in history. I know I have a few and most are also in black and white.

In reply to your comment on my blog about the artwork...

I hate to say, "good old days," but the good old days offered me many opportunities that I would have had to share with secretaries, I suppose, who would now use computers to create things like this. But, the charm would be lost, I think.

Roy said...

Cool! I wonder what film was used? I've been digging into old photo films and how they affected the photos shot on them lately. That looks like at least a 400 ISO film speed.

John said...

Seems to have been the way of most of our northern cities; can't recognise Sheffield from when I knew it as a lad in the 50s.

L. D. Burgus said...

I thought they were digging a nice river when I saw it a first. Why such a deep hole of a road.

Michael and Hanne said...

"I'm taking the time for a number of things that weren't important yesterday, Im fixing a hole where the rain gets in ( and stops my mind from wandering, where it will go )"
from The Beatles Song "I'm Fixing a Hole"