Thursday, 20 January 2011

From The Outside Looking In


Back to my walk yesterday. In the shadow of Wainhouse Tower (Yes I will get around to telling the full story of that particular landmark) stands a building which is full of memories to me. Built as an orphanage and funded by the local textile dynasty, the Crossleys, it later became the Crossley and Porter School. I went there, and so did my son. I still get nervous when I get too close to it, so the picture is taken from behind the boundary wall.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

It looks very impressive. Why do you get nervous?

geraldgee said...

Yes,why so nervous?

Alan Burnett said...

On the whole I didn't particularly enjoy school - at least the regime that existed whilst I was there. The situation had improved by the time The Lad went, but I always dreaded setting foot in the place.

Michael and Hanne said...

Trouble is Alan is so old they used to torture school-children in his day, canes,gym-shoes, anything to hand became a weapon. I know, I was there. Nowadays, children don't get into trouble except when they stab someone.
Nice picture Alan, peaceful, now all the bad teachers are dead. And the good ones. The ones that made us nervous....

Betsy said...

Haha...well, I'm with you Alan. I'm glad my school days are over! It is a beautiful picture...even from a distance. ;)