Sunday, 9 January 2011

Britannia Still Rules The Roofs, But Am I Getting Smaller?


Last week I included an old photograph of Britannia sat amongst the roof-tops of Elland and I promised to check to see if she is still there. The answer is yes she is (minus some mill chimneys, plus some trees). However, try as I may, I could not seem to find the same angle to take the photograph from. The only conceivable answer is that I have shrunk considerably over the last thirty or so years. At this rate, I will vanish altogether by 2030.

8 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

A brilliant photo!

Valerie said...

Curiosity satisfied, Alan. Thank you. It's a brilliant photograph, even though it is a different angle. Hmmm heaven forbid that you should shrink out of sight!

Roy said...

Nice shot, Alan! The silhouette effect works very well.

As for shrinking with age, I know that one well. When I was 18 I measured 6 ft. tall. Now, at 57, I'm 5 ft. 10 in. I guess the spine retracts or something!

Betsy said...

Oh, that is such a neat photograph! Sorry about the shrinkage. hee hee.

www.dakotaboo.com said...

Great photo Alan - fascinating to see the 2 together. Any idea what the tall chimney on the left of the original photo was, and when it disappeared?

Mmm said...

Both the old one adn these are great shots. LOL, you are too too funny. Alan. Well one way or another I suspect many of us will be gone in 30 years, sorry to say. I knew dear Alan, maybe the ground just sank in some though?

L. D. Burgus said...

I told my classes on Thursday when I was substitute teaching that I was now older, grayer and fatter than two years ago. I guess I had forgot about the shrinking part. That is a wonderful view.

H said...

I've been back and forth between these two about a dozen times and can't quite work out what it is about the angle except that the earlier photo is more closely zoomed.

As for shrinking, I can't really afford to.