Thursday, 23 December 2010

Sepia Saturday : A Pierrot Show On Picture Post


My Christmas Sepia Saturday contribution is making a guest appearance on my Picture Post Blog whilst News From Nowhere is prepared for a New Year New Look. And what better way to celebrate Christmas than with a group of family and friends putting on a 1920s pierrot show. I remember asking my father about this photograph a few years before he died and he was able to name a few of the participants although he was not able to identify a particular time or venue.I made a few penciled notes on the back of the photograph based on his recollection and I have now transferred these to the following image.


Enoch Burnett was his father (my grandfather) and Miriam was his sister. Some of the other names I half recognise from stories of his childhood. The group would have most likely been associated with a chapel or club in the Great Horton area of Bradford. Whatever the performance, I am sure that the entire cast will join with me in wishing all Sepia Saturday readers a very Happy Christmas.

You can view all the participants in the Sepia Saturday Seasonal Open House by following this link.


6 comments:

Betsy said...

I hope you have the most wonderful Christmas! I'm so glad you are my bloggy friend!

What a delightful photo! I love how you labeled the folks you know, too.

Hope you enjoy the holidays!

~Betsy
xxoo

Sunny said...

Just want to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!
☼ Sunny

Abraham Lincoln said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

TICKLEBEAR said...

a lovely photograph!!
season's greetings!!
:)~
HUGZ

L. D. Burgus said...

What a ways back into time. Grandfather in a class play is great. My agricultural clan didn't probably even see a play except maybe at a town opera house.I don't remember any opera houses in the south.

Barbara said...

What a great photo. I would have loved to have seen the show.
A belated Merry Christmas and a happy new year.