Thursday, 16 December 2010

Lorna Doone And A Stray Rope


My father took this photograph back in the 1930s. Long before the days of SLR's and "What You See Is What You Get" - hence the hanging rope. The "Lorna Doone" was a paddle steamer on the Isle of Wight route. Built in 1891 it lasted until the 1940s when it was eventually scrapped. But it gave good service as both a passenger ferry and - during both World Wars - as a minesweeper. Such a beautiful lady is worth recording : stray rope or not.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

She had a long life and a useful one. The rope was eye catching, found myself studying it ... yes, I know!

Chairman Bill said...

Stray rope? A stray eyebrow more like.

Alan Burnett said...

I can't remember my father having eyebrows that long!

Sunny said...

I love old photos and this one is really great, rope or not.
☼ Sunny

The Retired One said...

Loved it!