Tuesday, 21 December 2010

He Sells Sea Shells Nowhere Near The Sea Shore


I can be fairly certain when this was taken and where it was taken. I remember the day well : that is my brother Roger on the left and me on the right. It is 1969 and we are in Maidstone Market in Kent trying to earn an honest crust by selling an extraordinary product mix of sea urchin shells and maps of the Upper Medway Navigation. I am not sure where the bulk supply of shells came from, but the maps where drawn by my brother. I was amazed to discover (isn't the internet wonderful!) that those maps are still on sale today although the price seems to have gone up a little. But I have no idea who took the photograph. Roger, if you are reading this, can you remember?

5 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

I hope your brother is getting some royalties!
Love the new look here, Alan. That was quick off the mark!
Impossible to tear ones self away, isn't it?

You were a handsome fellow in '69; I bet the ladies made a few trips past the urchin-stand!

Kat

Alan Burnett said...

Knowing my brother he will still be getting the royalties. As for '69 - I was in my prime.

Valerie said...

Love the hair, Alan. My how things change over the years.

jennyfreckles said...

Two in the family with artistic and entrepreneurial tendencies then. Those maps look very attractive (I went on the website and viewed it large).

L. D. Burgus said...

You could post that in Sepia Saturday of two guys selling the sea shells by the shoulder of the road. It is a cool shot of an interesting activity.