Saturday, 11 December 2010

A Circuitous Route To Creeque Alley


On my News From Nowhere Blog at the moment I am banging on about the way chance can lead you to fascinating discoveries. I must confess that chance also dictates the way I try to scan and review the thousands of old negatives I have accumulated over sixty-odd years. Rather than work my way through the negative albums in a logical fashion I will dip in at random and scan a chance strip. Today's scan brought up this picture which I must have taken back in the early 1980s. It was taken on the island of St Thomas in the American Virgin Islands. It is one of those photographs that comes with its own soundtrack, as soon as I saw it the sound of the Mamas and the Papas singing Creeque Alley came to mind. They wrote their famous song whilst staying in St Thomas at the house of Club Owner Hugh Duffy - ""Duffy's good vibrations, and our imaginations, can't go on indefinitely" - and the house was situated on Creeque Alley. I have no evidence to support my belief, but I always think of Creeque Alley leading off this street.

4 comments:

Chairman Bill said...

Alan - see the pink building on the left? The Camille Pissarro Building? Here's the inside...

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/americas/the-complete-guide-to-the-virgin-islands-1650204.html?action=Gallery&ino=2

Valerie said...

Nice shot, Alan. I imagine it's more fun to select pictures at random, surprising yourself with what turns up.

Alan Burnett said...

CB : Great investigative work. The internet synapses working at their very best
Val : Yes, its like playing your music collection using the shuffle option on your ipod

Mmm said...

Ah, I love your observations there and what a great photo indeed. you really do have a great eye, Alan.

"back in the early 1980s."
--Oh dear, was it really that long ago?