Wednesday, 13 October 2010

NINE : 2001 - San Blas Islands


In 2001 we were on a Caribbean cruise which visited the San Blas Islands, just off the coast of Panama. It was back in the days when I still smoked a pipe (oh happy days) and I was smoking my pipe when I came across this redoubtable lady. She motioned to my tobacco pouch indicating that she wanted to fill her pipe from it, and I happily agreed. She managed to cram a remarkable amount of tobacco into her pipe. but I didn't mind. In exchange she let me take this photograph. As I said, oh happy days.

7 comments:

Valerie said...

Great picture. Is that a ring in her nose? It must have been really nice there.

Alan Burnett said...

Val : I think it is. She was stylish before her time.

Chairman Bill said...

So you have met my mum!

Alan Burnett said...

Charming Lady : you've inherited her looks

jennyfreckles said...

It seems odd to see a woman smoking a pipe - no reason why they shouldn't, of course, but I don't think it's common here. In fact, come to think of it, it's ages since I saw anyone smoking a pipe. Sounds like you've given it up - very sensible, but I do like the smell of pipe tobacco.

TICKLEBEAR said...

a marvelous trade-up!! she looks like quite the character and the results speak for themselves. i would have agreed too!! great pic!!
:)~
HUGZ

Far Side of Fifty said...

My Grandmother used to smoke a pipe, at night when her 12 children were tucked in bed. It was her only vice.
It sounds like you miss your pipe..I miss a good after dinner cigarette myself..times have sure changed:(