Thursday, 9 September 2010

Not Quite Catch Point


I must confess that I am becoming addicted to going through my old negatives and revisiting pictures I took forty or so years ago. This photograph of the old railway siding in the shadow of North Bridge, Halifax, was taken in the late 1960s. If I had have turned around and walked under the bridge the scene facing me would have been that taken by the great Bill Brandt in his photograph "Catch Point", some twenty years before mine.  What is really strange to realise is that the time separating my photograph and what I then thought of as the "Old Halifax" captured by Brandt was only half as long as the time separating my photograph from the modern day. And in the modern day, all you will see now is the concrete bunker that is North Bridge Leisure Centre. Not quite Catch Point.

5 comments:

Sunny said...

What a wonderful book all of your old pictures would make :)
☼ Sunny

jennyfreckles said...

I think we should be talking about these in the same breath as Bill Brandt's, personally! These are stunning - and fascinating.

James said...

I agree with Sunny. I love looking at old photos like the one's you've been posting. Very interesting to see. I could spend a long time looking at these photos.

L. D. Burgus said...

It really is a neat shot. Those towers look like smaller versions of the ones with nuclear sites. I am having trouble keeping up with the posts, keeping up with what I missed out and keeping up with life. If I seem missing on the net, it is because I probably have fallen and can't keep up. Take care.

Valerie said...

Fascinating. There's something about those old places that make me want to explore.