Saturday, 28 August 2010

Steam Engineering


Back after my short break and returning with another picture of steam engineering. This is the LMS Princess Class locomotive, Princess Elizabeth, seen at Huddersfield Railway Station yesterday. I was on my way to York in a very new and dull diesel electric train. How I wish I had been joining this beauty instead. Built in November 1933, the Princess Elizabeth used to pull the Royal Scot train between London and Glasgow. These days it is used for special excursions : the one yesterday was on the magnificent Settle to Carlisle line.


7 comments:

willow said...

This is the train of my dreams. Super shots, Alan.

John said...

Don't you just love 'em; gorgeous.

Valerie said...

Lovely pictures, Alan. Hubs walked in just as your blog opened on my screen, he took one look at the first picture, read the number and launched into a description of the Princess Elizabeth. He's a proper know-all!

The Retired One said...

Loved these!!

KleinsteMotte said...

I still love those trains.

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, my goodness! This is truly the prettiest train I've ever seen--well, with the exception of the bicentennial Steam that chugged its way through our part of the world over 25 years ago!

I LOVE these photos--they're lovely and quite eye-catching!

L. D. Burgus said...

It is quite a beauty. I am glad it is still in good shape and being used.