Tuesday, 22 June 2010

The Weather Is Fine and Victoria Reigns


Back from our short holiday and for the next week or so I will be featuring some of the photographs I took whilst away. Let's start with this one which was taken in the Dorset village of Ansty. The is something archetypically English about the scene : the village notice board, the old post box with the VR (Victoria Reigns) embellishment and empty space where the timetable of the village bus used to be displayed. It is Budget Day here in Britain, and the way things are looking, there will be few village bus services survive the budgetary axe.

6 comments:

L. D. Burgus said...

Yes, when I was in Canada a few years back, I was surprised to find the Queen's highway everywhere. I guess some city just named a freeway after Obama because he paid for it with someone's money. I hope you got some rest.

Valerie said...

I wish there were more like that, Alan.


PS ... I was thinking Union Jack rather than England... shame on me!

jennyfreckles said...

I like hunting out old post boxes - there'll be a blog of those somewhere, I'm sure!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Glad to have you back! Hope you are sufficiently rested! Apparently that old Post box is not used anymore..a pity is kind of cute...I thought at first it was a fire alarm:)

Sunny said...

Welcome back!
I really like this picture, the colors and shapes against the stone wall and I especially like the old post box.
☼ Sunny

Beth Niquette said...

How unusual. Eyecatching to be sure. I LIKE it!