Thursday, 20 May 2010

Victorian Photographs : Morley Man Of Taunton


Readers of my News From Nowhere Blog will know that I have recently become obsessed with collecting Victorian Carte de Visite (CdV) photographs. You can still find these wonderful old photographs in antique shops for about 50p each or on eBay for a little more. The fact that you don't know who the subject is doesn't matter, indeed it often adds to the imaginative challenge. Therefore, another new series on the Daily Photo Blog will be new additions to my CdV collection. This particular dapper young man was photographed in the Taunton studios of W Morley. I guess it must have been taken during the last decade of the nineteenth century but I have not, as yet, been able to discover the dates when Morley was active in Taunton. Never mind the history, just enjoy the photograph.

5 comments:

L. D. Burgus said...

I have a few old photos that I am eventually have to share as I will run out of dead relatives. I do appreciate the entire photo. The backgrounds and the things they tried to depict always fascinated me.

Mildred said...

Hi Alan, I noticed your comment on L.D.'s blog and have enjoyed visiting you this afternoon. Connie @ Far Side of Fifty blog (who lives in Minnesota) is doing something similar with antique photos. She and some of her "detectives" have been able to track down relatives of many of the photos and return them to excited family members!!!
This is a wonderful photo you have shared today. Looks like this dapper young man has pretty blue eyes and I think I see a pocket watch. I'll be back to visit.

The Retired One said...

I collect all the children and baby old photos I can find at estate sales and rummage sales...love the ornate backgrounds in them, the big bonnets, the huge hairbows and the short pants on the little boys....

Mildred said...

CORRECTION: Connie's blog url is http://forgottenoldphotos.blogspot.com

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Alan, It is nice to "meet" another person with a love of the old photos..I truly enjoy working with the old photographs, I love the clothing and the backgrounds, the hairstyles and usually the non smiling faces. We have had some success in reuniting some people with relatives in their past. I have a blast..looking for old photos to purchase..especially ones with names on the back. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Now for your CdV..his neck thing, would it be considered an ascot? I love that his hat appears to be off to the left..it looks like one of those bowler style hats.. I am not familar with your exchange rate 50p would translate into dollars? CdV 's are fairly expensive here, I try never to pay more than one dollar..but I am cheap! I have been known to pay two dollars. The going rate for them is 3 to 4 dollars sometimes more. Since I use one photo everyday..I like bargains! :)