Wednesday, 26 May 2010

Then And Now : Sun Inn Corner, Rastrick



My "Then and Now" features this week again makes use of an image from the Kirklees Image Archive. According to the catalogue, the original image was taken in 1910, so the contrast between the two images nicely illustrates the passage of a century. The Sun - like so many British pubs - did have a "To Let" notice up recently but that seems to have vanished, thank goodness. Back in the late 19th century, the Sun Inn was one of the venues used by the Brighouse Lark Singing Association for its regular contests. Members would bring along their caged larks and prizes were awarded for what was judged as the sweetest singing. One hundred years on and there are no trams, no gas lights, and no larks.

5 comments:

Mildred said...

Hello Alan, What fun to see your then and now photos! So interesting to read about the larks. Wishing you a lovely day.

John said...

The top shot reminds me of traveling on the old trams in Sheffield as a boy in the 50s, from Hunter's Bar to Neepsend from one grandmother to the other. That's when Sheffield was a 'Steel City'.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The buildings have stood the test of time..although I wish I could have heard the singing Lark contest:)

Lisa Gioia-Acres said...

Hi there! I have missed so many of your posts. I must spend time catching up. What better way to start my day than with photographs such as this one? I LOVE then and now pictures.

Have been quite busy with the addition of 2 new grandchildren to the family within a month's time. I hope you are doing well. I must put off my visit to your country for a bit; Nana is needed!

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hello Alan, these photos are great. I've just been doing more of my family history and have found that one of my ancestors, Henry Holroyd, was the inn keeper of the Sun Inn in 1861.
Cheers, Geoff Armitage, Australia