Thursday, 18 March 2010

Excursions In Curacao


A visit to Curaçao is complete without a visit to the spectacular Hato Caves which seem to sum up much of the history of the island. 1500 years ago they were used by Amerindian Arawaks for shelter, 200 years ago they were used by escaped slaves for hiding and today they are an important stop on the tourist trail.


I am a firm believing in the old adage "if you are going to go on an excursion, make it one to a brewery or a distillery". And if you are going to Curaçao you need to stop off at the Curaçao Liqueur Distillery. It's not about all those free samples you get, its about learning something about the socio-economic importance of the industry to the island (if you believe that you will believe anything).


And what of the fine ship that took us to all these wonderful places. Here is a picture of the Oceana in the harbour at Willemstad, the island's capital. The magnificent Queen Juliana Bridge can be seen in the background.

Readers of a perceptive nature will have noticed that this post differs from the normal photo-a-day post in that there are three photos! There are two reasons for this. I have realised that unless I get a move on I will never get through even a selection of the pictures from my holiday by my self-imposed deadline of the end of the month. And secondly during April I will start the process of amalgamating the Photo-A-Day blog into my main News From Nowhere blog - part of a process of rationalisation which I will say more about later.

6 comments:

John said...

And like all holidays, it probably seems like a long time ago.

steviewren said...

Looks like you guys enjoyed yourself. I'm a little jealous! Sun and warm temps sounds heavenly right now.

James said...

I really like the look of the cave. You did a very nice job of photographing it.

L. D. Burgus said...

Just like words, photos need to be shared. Sometimes one at a time just doesn't work, and besides I took 40 pictures of the Botanical Center and everyone is going to see them all, I insist. I am always in a bind about showing just one good, very well constructed composition to show my photography skills or just to share what is on my mind. You know I have a lot on my mind.

The Retired One said...

Love that cruise ship...and your interesting tidbits! It is okay to do more than one a day...anyway, you can always rename your blog to "Photo(s) of the Day.
ha

jennyfreckles said...

Mmm, I sympathise. I thought I'd have a hard time putting a photo a day on my blog but as time has gone on I find I have more I want to show you, not less.