Saturday, 5 December 2009

091205 : The Great Wall Of Northowram



China makes a big thing about its Great Wall and it has become a magnet for millions of tourists from around the world. We who come from the small Yorkshire village of Northowram have learnt to be a little more self-effacing about our own Great Wall which is to be found at the top end of the village. Its purpose is not to keep marauding Mongol armies at bay, but to stop a farmers' field slipping down into Shibden Valley. If you click and enlarge the photo you can get a sense of scale from the normal size wall that runs alongside the Great Wall.

9 comments:

Sunny said...

It may not be THE Great Wall but it's a GREAT Wall none the less! It must have taken quite some time to construct it.
Enjoy your day.
Sunny :)

L. D. Burgus said...

I have seen a lot of retaining walls in my lifetime but that is a big one. It is a beautiful looking wall of stone besides. Modern builders try to replicate that look these days. We are just too cold again today. Take care. You must be back from Aspen.

JPT said...

Who needs China!?

Valerie said...

Enlarging it changed the perspective. The construction is interesting; it must be a very strong retaining wall.

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

Some of those stones look to be quite heavy Alan.

enchantedoak said...

Popping in from California to visit you after finding your lovely comment on my blog. I adore stones, the heft, the texture, the look of them. I wouldn't mind at all having this wall as part of my life. Cheers! Chris

The Machinist's Wife said...

Alan, this wall reminds me of some of the walls on a couple of South African farms we lived on. Beautiful to look at, but not to attempt to climb... as I found out in my youth. Many a rhinkals made their hideaway / getaway in a stone wall like this. I can't help but think of them when I see a stone wall...

Anonymous said...

I am a descendant of the Punch and Judy Greens(via the Hindleys) in Blackpool,so quite interested in your comments re Punch and Judy recently shown by you

Anonymous said...

I am a descendant of the Punch and Judy Greens(via the Hindleys) in Blackpool,so quite interested in your comments re Punch and Judy recently shown by you