Friday, 20 November 2009

091120 Garth Pier Bangor


Another of the photographs from North Wales. The pier at Bangor - known as Garth Pier - was built in the 1890s and finally closed to the public in 1971. In 1974 the Borough Council took the decision to demolish it, but a campaign led by the City Council opposed the plans and, over the next twenty years, managed to raise enough money to fully restore it. At 1,500 feet long it is the second longest pier in Wales and a lasting monument to Victorian engineering.

7 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

Gosh, isn't it lovely. They were clever, those Victorians. I suppose the little buildings are wind shelters - though it would be fun to imagine that they had 5 or 6 different bands playing on a Sunday, each in their own bandstand!

Valerie said...

Happy memories for me, Alan. Loved these pictures. I'm playing 'catch-up' but have managed to put some Heart of England pictures on the picture blog.

Patty said...

It's an amazing looking pier. I've never seen one with the (I assume) little shelters for people to sit under. Also thanks for your visit, glad you got a chuckle. Happy week-end.

Sunny said...

What a unique pier. Really wonderful.
Sunny :)

The Machinist's Wife said...

The Victorians had less equipment / hand tools and yet they made the more attractive, quality, durable structures. Nowadays, we'd be lucky if even one wall in our 'rabbit hutch' houses was straight. Hey, Alan, have you been to 'Betsy-co-ed'? I don't know how you spell it, but I 'think' that's how you pronounce it. I was there with a friend and my then 5 year old daughter in 1988 and we stayed at a wonderful old hotel and sang the night away.

The Retired One said...

I am SO glad they didn't destroy it and someone had the foresight to renovate it. The little huts all along the peer with their pointed roofs are romantic and beautiful.

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

It is a lovely place to photograph. Those who watched and listened are still there.