Wednesday, 14 October 2009

091014 Coley Church


When I was young I looked out of my bedroom window across the fields and saw the proud stone tower of Coley Church cutting through the grey clouds that seemed to live forever on the horizon. The present building dates back to 1817, but there has been a chapel on the site since the sixteenth century. As Amy and I walked down Coley Hall Lane this morning I just hoped that nobody would have the silly idea of cleaning it up. The soot-black stone is just the way it should be.

8 comments:

Sunny said...

What a magnificent old church. Beautiful scenery.

John said...

That's a 'grand' village church, the windows on the end look quite different to the usual arrangement.

James said...

An amazing church. Sadly most of the things that I remember from childhood have been torn down.

It must be nice to see things that don't change.

Arasu said...

Looks nice with a good view point and greenery.The weathered walls give it a historical and interesting look.

Valerie said...

Splendid old church. I've seen one or two gracious churches on my travels, unfortunately whilst driving and unable to stop.

L. D. Burgus said...

Great looking structure. That is old and the history it could tell. I like that tree hanging in front like a ghost tale.

geraldgee said...

Quite agree.Cleaned up stonework so often looks wrong.

The Retired One said...

Fantastic old church. Is there a grave yard by it? There usually is on the old church properties...
I can just imagine all the weddings and funerals this church has seen...