Sunday, 4 October 2009

091004 Castle Hill



I did promise a picture of the "Castle" on Castle Hill which is why I am showing this one although I am not 100% happy with it. The site is one of the most ancient in Yorkshire which has been settled for at least 4,000 years and was the location of the areas most important early Iron Age Hill Fort. There was a castle on the hill briefly in the 12th century and during the nineteenth century the hill was the site of several mass meetings of the Chartist movement. The current tower you see in the photograph was built in 1897 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.

8 comments:

geraldgee said...

Like the pattern of the paths.One advantage of the old twin lens camera was by taking at a lower angle it enhanced the drama of scenery

John said...

Great spot, you must be doing a fair bit of walking Alan. Saw the 'reclining' post, but you know my views on this modern stuff.

L. D. Burgus said...

I can't even digest the idea that you have a site that has a 4,000 year human history. I know our land is just as old as yours, but history is wilderness history. That view is wonderful. I found showing our rolling hills would have been easier if I had done it in a movie as I found one really needs to be in motion to understand the size and depth of the land. Thanks for sharing that picture.

The Retired One said...

Awesome photo with even more awesome history attached to it...you need to work for your local tourism dept. by having your photos as promotions of your area!

James said...

Great picture. You live in a place with so much beauty and so much history.

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

I guess we would have to set back and try to imagine America some 4000 years ago. It must have been one vast wilderness as it was when the first settlers began to arrive here.

Sunny said...

Wonderful view, I like the sky. I imagine the wind can howl around there on a blustery day.
Sunny :)

Kelsey said...

I love this photo. It's beautiful.