Sunday, 6 September 2009

090906 Viola

I took this photograph on Friday and it shows my son and his friends as we all made our way to the exhibition we were visiting in Leeds (I will write it up in News From Nowhere tomorrow). As we walked from the station to the Art Gallery we went through Bond Court and I couldn't help stopping off and re-visiting some old friends. The sculpture is called Viola and it overlooks the boules pitch in the centre of Leeds. The bronze plaque you can just see at the bottom right of the picture tells the story of the piece. I didn't need to read it as I know the words well. Indeed I have the original plaster cast of the plaque resting against my bookshelf a few feet away from me. The sculpture was one of the commissions my brother Roger undertook whilst he was living in this country. Although he is now thousands of miles away it brings him a bit closer to revisit one of his sculptures.

8 comments:

Valerie said...

Ooo Alan, Marvellous that your brother did those wonderful sculptures. I'm thrilled to see them and to know the connection. What an artist! You must be so proud of him. Does he still do sculpting

Rinkly Rimes said...

Spray them with a little silver and you wouldn't know one from t'other!
BB

The Retired One said...

Wow. you have a talented brother to have done these sculptures! Your photography talent is also artistic..must be in your genes!

Leah said...

Oh, how neat! So cool to get to commune with your brother that way.

► Abraham Lincoln said...

A multi talented family then. Great news. There are so many families in the world where one does one thing and the rest are not really interested.

I like sculpture or cast sculpture which means the piece to make the mold must be around somewhere. My artist friend of mine, who was on Iwo Jima, used to use the lost wax technique. Now he has Alzheimers and doesn't even know his sons.

Anyway, a nice post and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

e said...

Lovely family photo and great that you can commune with your brother in this way.

I'll be sure to visit the other blog and read more about the exhibit.

Rita said...

How wonderful to have such a talent in the family. How good it must feel to be able to direct friends to his work.

Sunny said...

Wonderful sculptures, what a talented brother you have!
Sunny :)