Wednesday, 19 August 2009

090819 Black And White Swan II

When I was in Tadcaster yesterday I bought a book called "Tadcaster Photo Album" which has been published by the Tadcaster Civic Society. In it there is this rather grainy picture of the White Swan (see the post from yesterday) which must have been taken in the early years of the twentieth century. It is interesting to note that it looked somewhat disreputable even in those days - and it survived. So maybe it will live long and prosper after all. (And before anyone asks, no I did not take this photograph. The general rule that the photographs in this blog are my own had to have certain exceptions).

4 comments:

Sunny said...

It looks like it has undergone some changes over the years. Could it have been a hotel at one time?
Sunny :)

Valerie said...

Erm, it looks slightly better now, Alan.

The Retired One said...

Looks very interesting...loved the swan on the top of the entrance!

The Machinist's Wife said...

Hi Alan - it seems like there is a 'Swan' hotel in nearly every village! While researching my own familial history, I came across a couple in the small town of Middleham. Oh, and another thing - Todcaster - I was sure we saw this on an episode of Secret Millionaire? Do you watch that? We enjoy watching most programs made in the UK.
Thanks for your kind comments! I'm still navigating around your neck o' the woods, too.