Monday, 17 August 2009

090817 Morgan Super Sports

I took this picture of a Morgan Super Sports at the Halifax Show the other week. It is a somewhat special car as my father used to have one of these back in the 1930s. He didn't have it for long however : on his first trip out in it with my mother sat by his side, the single back wheel got stuck in the tram lines at Bull Green in Halifax and the car turned upside-down. My parents were unhurt, but my mother refused point blank to ever travel in the car again so a week later my father had to sell his pride and joy. That's love for you.

4 comments:

L. D. Burgus said...

A great, but sad, story. It is a beautiful car. Your dad did the right thing but I bet he gritted his teeth when he did so. I bet he didn't get that fancy of a car the next time.

Valerie said...

Alan, that's so sad. Selling such a magnificent motoring specimen would have broken my heart.

Alan Burnett said...

Yes it is quite sad. The strange thing is that after my father sold the car he bought another motorbike and sidecar and my mother was much happier in that!

The Retired One said...

I love taking photos too of old cars...if you go to my blog and use the search feature and put in antique car show, I have two or three posts of old car shots.
Aren't they fantastic.
Loved this one!